Sunday, May 15, 2022

Reducing the loss of Cellphones using a watch alert

You might have read this news item:


https://www.indiatimes.com/worth/news/how-a-lost-iphone-led-to-warren-buffett-investing-billions-in-apple-569497.html

It talks about a friend of Warren Buffet, who lost his iPhone in a taxi and felt very bad.

There is a simple way to reduce such losses. Assume that the owner of an iPhone is also wearing an Apple watch. It should be easy to arrange for the watch to alert the owner when he moves some distance away from the phone. Loss of the Bluetooth signal from the iPhone can trigger this off. ”Setting” can offer the owner the choice of having this alert on, or turning it off. The watch display can show if the tether is on or off. See also my earlier post related to this topic:

https://newstudentresearch.blogspot.com/2019/11/using-activity-tracker-as-wireless-key.html

I am glad to see that a form of this technology is in use now. Visit

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6103523?hl=En

Srinivasan Ramani


 

 

1 comment:

Srinivasan Ramani said...

I looked up and installed the app named FIND MY on tha Apple Appstore. It is well designed and useful. But it has a weakness. Suppose I leave the iPhone in a taxi and get down. A minute later I reach for the phone and it is not there. I click on the app on my Apple watch and it says my iphone is in Bangalore, KA, 1 km away. What do I do? Assuming I find a cab or auto and hop into it. In classic Hollywood style, I could say "chase that cab"! It is unlikely to work.

On the other hand if I get a noticeable alert when I am 10 feet away from the Cab, perhaps I could stop the cab and get my phone.